Biologists are scientists that study humans, plants, and animals. They have many responsibilities such as conducting research, collecting samples, and performing a variety of tests to see how different organisms interact with their environment.
They perform experiments and tests and report their findings.
During your career as a biologist, you will be observing a variety of organisms to learn about their diets, behavior, and impact on their surroundings.
A love for the natural environment is essential since you will be spending a lot of your time outside tagging and tracking animals to learn about their movements and relocating them to wildlife preserves.
Skills required for this career:
- Pay attention to the detail
- Excellent written communication skills
- The ability to work well with your hands
- Analytical thinking skills
- Bachelor in Chemistry
- B.Sc. Life and Environmental Sciences
- B.Sc. Plant Pathology
- Bachelor in Anatomy
- Bachelor in Biotechnology
- B.Sc. Biological Sciences
- Government departments
- Game reserves and zoos
- Private organizations
- Organizations such as the SABS, CSIR, and Onderstepoort